Friday, June 11, 2010

the summer delivery of happiness


Delivering happiness is simple. I have found a way to kill the depression of any adulthood woos. I have a way to throw out the zoloft and alcohol or xanax. I have a way to not seep into the cracks of sadness. It is so simple. It is so easy. I was delivered happiness twice this week in an unexpected way. I feel like I should share it with others because it is so simple. Simple it is. Walk into a school preferably an elementary school-a k-8 will do-I’m sure there is still the excitement within a jr or high school type, but different it might be. But there is something about when you walk in the walls of the last day of school. The last day of school.

The excitement felt by those running around to say goodbye, to get in line for ice cream, for no more school, no more homework. Once they buzzed me in, through the first door and then the second, I felt something different unusual. As I walked into the sea of occasional runs into the hallway and hi kates and sitting down waiting for your parents or nannies or grandmas to pick them up. No this time I found myself in a wave of energy that makes you want to do shake your hands and feet in excitement. I was delivered happiness this anticipation and excitement delivered to me that there was nothing else than to smile. Smile not the forced smile of nice to meet you- who the hell are you- or the smile of someone wanting something- no it was the toothy open grinned-open mouth-parting of the lips into the genuine. The genuine.

The sea of the last day of school dodge balled me back to my own time when my life was in the confines of parents and walls and boundaries. How I love the last day of school. How I had forgotten until. Until. I was delivered happiness for what was to come. Come. No one knew. But the ending felt great. Because you would be back. Back you would. Delivering happiness just by being there. Not doing anything but opening my hands out and taking it all in.

We all take in shit we shouldn’t but this felt like a happy elixir unlike the usual, it was different. I was different. But it wouldn’t be my own taste of nostalgia for the past. If you ever need to stop multitasking or put down that phone or detach-go see kids perform in a end of the year celebrations. To hear their little voices stretched out loud to try and be booming, the practiced choreography sometimes remembered, sometimes forgotten. You sway back to back to the beat. And look around. Smiles abound. Movement abound.

Delivering happiness is easy. So simple. It is not just delivered by children. Maybe around kids, kids at the end of the school year it is just easier to see. Because it is so loud and you can be deafened for the high kicks and dosidos and standing ovations for teachers who are leaving. Maybe we forgot the way it was. The way it could be. To start a new summer and only think of the good. To start over and not be sad for what was. What was. Because what was to come seemed like it would be better. Better than this. Delivering happiness. Nothing is better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment